Monday, June 10, 2013

DIY No Sew Ruffle Shower Curtain

Hello there!

It has been awhile, hasn't it?  Sorry for the long delay, I have recently gone through some life changes that have made blogging (and crafting) very difficult.  Thankfully they are good life changes! :) I recently got engaged and am getting married at the end of the summer! I am so very excited to start this new chapter of my life and to marry my best friend! I have been waiting for this moment for YEARS.  Literally we have been together for 7+ years now.

I also have been finishing up my SPED endorsement, and we moved to a bigger house (which was much needed)!!!

So needless to say, I've been BUSY!

Anyways summer is almost here, which means lots of spare time to craft and blog. Even though I've been busy, I have been able to do some crafting.  And I have so many projects on my to do list that I can't wait for school to be out!

Here is the first project I've done since we moved:

Isn't it the cutest? I saw this blog post and I knew I had to do one of my own.  It was a fairly simple project. I bought a $15 plain white shower curtain along with a $15 king size white flat sheet both from Walmart. Not the cheapest project, but I knew I wanted a white ruffled shower curtain and I couldn't find one anywhere. 

First I cut the sheet into 10" strips. Then I started ruffling. 

To ruffle: I made my ruffles on the larger side, but this would work for smaller ruffles too.

- start from one side of the curtain, lay down a line of glue, press 10" fabric strip on glue

-then on the last inch of fabric that was glued down, you are going to glue your fabric back, folded in on itself.  Accordion style.

- then keeping your fabric folded over you will lay another line of glue, creating your ruffle.
You can see the last step in the photo....if you can see the glue.  Sorry it's so hard to see.  Apparently clear glue is hard to see on white curtains.  What?

The only thing is that my ruffles lay really flat.  I would have liked them to be a bit fuller, but I couldn't figure it out without screwing up the whole line.
Here is a close up of the completed ruffle.

Oh I also wanted to mention that I made sure to overlap my ruffles by about 2" each.  You may want to measure out the length of your curtain to make sure it all matches up.  I didn't...thank goodness it all worked out in the end! Also at the top of my curtain I just punched holes through the fabric to slip the shower rings through.  

I'm pretty happy with the overall product! I may end up dip dying them at a later date.  We registered for an awesome bed set, and if we get that then I might want to add some color to that bad boy.

I'll leave you with an adorable picture of my little helper.  Who actually was a huge pain in the ass the entire time I was working on this curtain.  I would have to constantly pick him up and move him to a completed part of the project! haha. It's a good thing he's cute, or I would not have tolerated it! 

I'll be back soon, I've done a lot of outdoor projects that I can't wait to share! 

<3

1 comment: