Tuesday, February 4, 2014

DIY Catch-All

 

Today I wanted to share a project that I made that is both functional and cute.  

I am obsessed with Pinterest, as many of you probably share the same obsession, you may have seen similar projects before. 

Anyways, I saw the ever popular sharpie mugs, and the diy cake stand/ catch-alls and knew I wanted to do a combination of the two.   

Seriously this may have been the easiest diy ever. 

All you need:
  • 2 plates/ bowls (I got mine from the dollar store) 
  • A candlestick (thrifted ones are cheap/ they had lots of options) 
  • Some sort of epoxy ( I used E-6000 which might be the best super strong craft glue around, if you ask me. I usually carry some around in my purse and even fixed a student's shoe with it once, no joke.)
  • Oil-based paint sharpie (yes it has to be the more expensive paint sharpie, otherwise it washes off when you try to clean it)
Total for me was around $4 since I already had the glue and the sharpies. I like cheap- being on a teacher salary and all.

All you need to do now is create your pattern, sharpie your plates, stick them in the oven at 350° Bake them for 15 minutes (keep them in the oven as it cools otherwise your plates could break). 

Once they are cool, spread a light layer of glue on the candlestick, and stick it on the plate. Wait for it to dry and repeat the process with the other plate. 

Viola.  Instant cuteness.

Now put it somewhere where it will be the most useful...ours ended up on our counter and collects spare change, pens. and the mail.

Also sorry for the lack of photos- my laptop was stolen over the summer and it had all of my "during the process of this craft" pictures :(

My next post will be full of the wedding crafts I made for my wedding over the summer.  I know you're just dying with anticipation so I'll try not to wait 6 months before I post next.
<3




No comments:

Post a Comment